Thursday, June 23, 2011

I don't feel like doing a proper book review

I have finished the following books:
-The Ancient Myths by Norma Lorre Goodrich
-Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
-Enough Rope by Dorothy Parker

The Ancient Myths was a'ight. It's just such a product of its times. It did help remind me of myths I'd read long ago and introduced me to ones I hadn't yet, such as Rama and the Monkeys. There were way less Eastern myths compared to the standard Classical ones; I detect a bias, mainly because I didn't really like this book or its style of writing. I did like the summarization of The Aeneid, mainly because of its usefulness in letting the reader know what happened in which book. The geneological charts and maps were helpful, although not located very practically. The drawings were crude, as if the publishers had contracted third-graders to attempt to copy classical Greek drawings. The whole thing was so male-centric. There's no getting away from that in ancient myths, to be sure, but it just struck me as odd that the female writer of the book would plunge into it headfirst, while relating it in such a hilariously euphemistic style for the naughty parts. This book is probably out of print, and that's a good thing. A more faithful, unobjective, modern approach would be better. A resounding Meh from me. C or C+, maybe.

I loved Franny and Zooey. It had plenty of Salinger's trademark curses and jerky, flawed characters' dislike of phoniness, but it was just so religious and spiritual and lovely. That sounds like an odd thing to say about a book, especially one by J.D. "King of Disaffected Youths and Hipsters, RIP" Salinger, but it's true. The nervously breaking down Franny is searching, yearning, desperate for something and thinks that perhaps in saying a specific prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me") over and over again, she can achieve "Christ conscienceness" and peace in her life. Zooey, her brother, tries to help her by getting to the root of her problem and explaining it to her. These characters are often jerks, especially Zooey, but there's just this underlying current of the search for truth, for meaning, for spiritual light. The only thing I didn't like about the book (other than Zooey being such a jerk to his mom, who just takes it in stride) was that there were no chapter breaks. There's "Franny", which was originally a short story and shows us Franny's collapse when out with her boyfriend, and "Zooey", which is a novella that shows us how Zooey interacts with his mother and sister and how he helps her. I just really liked this book. B+ or A-, perhaps.

Enough Rope has established Dorothy Parker as one of my favorite poets. She's a scream and everything I like in a poet: funny, relatable, rhyming and metered poems, etc. She writes mainly about boys and her lot in life. Dorothy is the one who came up with "Men seldom make passes/At girls who wear glasses." I love her and I loved this book. I may share poems from it, if I feel like it. A or A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment