Monday, June 20, 2011

Book Review -- Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex

Spoilers will be in white from now on and will have to be highlighted to be read.

In the seventh AF book, Artemis comes up with a plan to save the world. Those closest to him are worried, however, because he's displaying symptoms of a mental disorder unique to fairies who are wracked with guilt. As it always does with Artemis and co., disaster and danger for the fairy world occur, but this time Artemis is deterred by his number fear/obsession and a personality named Orion who is the complete opposite of him and keeps professing his love for Holly, the LEPrecon captain.

I've found the last couple books, ever since the fifth which might be my favorite, to be on a decline. I somewhat disliked the sixth book (which is akin to my mild approval of any other book) and felt about the same with this one. I cannot for the life of me see why **SPOILERS** Eoin Colfer acquiesed to the horrifying and creepy Artemis x Holly subplot that exists among the sick, older fans of the series. I wish it had stayed that way, and now it is canon. Why, Eoin. Why. They're not even the same species! Artemis is fifteen and Holly is like in her eighties, which is like being in one's twenties as a human! Ugh. Oh, and I know, the villain fairy guy had a human wife. How? Humans are much bigger than fairies; what about mechanical barriers (yuck. Thanks, biology)? There is just no way this is a good thing. It's awful twisted for a kids' series.  **END SPOILERS**

Bellyaching aside, I do feel like most book series run out of steam around the fifth book. That's when the Princess Diaries books started to suck, for example. There's not much that's new about this, other than Artemis's mental issues. I found the depiction of OCD to be well done, although I'm no expert in anything medical. I could feel why he was afraid and fixated on the numbers. As always, I wish the series had shown us more of Artemis's home/domestic/family life; there's not much to make us care about his family (mildish spoilers: and his baby brother twins sound like such a riot, too. Why are we not hearing more about them?  MORE TWINS!) It's just always same old, same old. Some vengeful fairy mastermind or greedy rich human tries to take over the world/expose that fairies exist and Artemis, Holly, the Butlers, Mulch Diggems, and Foaly have to stop them; there are tons of near-death experiences and wacky banter, etcetera and so forth. Something so delightful should not become commonplace, and yet it sort of has. IDK. It's good there's only one more book, since I don't really see where else these could go.
I'd give this book a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment