Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Chanson D'Adventure" by C.S. Lewis

I heard in Addison's Walk a bird sing clear
'This year the summer will come true. This year. This year.

'Winds will not strip the blossom from the apple trees
This year, nor want of rain destroy the peas.

'This year time's nature will no more defeat you,
Nor all the promised moments in their passing cheat you.

'This summer will not lead you round and back
To autumn, one year older, by the well-worn track.

'Often deceived, yet open once again your heart,
The gates of good adventure swing apart.

'This time, this time, as all these flowers foretell,
We shall escape the circle and undo the spell.'

I said, 'This might prove truer than a bird can know;
And yet your singing will not make it so.'

This is one of my favorite poems by my favorite author, C.S. Lewis. Not many people know that he wrote poetry. I love this poem because of the sense of hope and expectancy and magic it has; it's perfect for the beginning of summer, and by the time autumn begins I am always one year older (my birthday is August 29). I'm going to try to memorize this poem. Source: The Inklings blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment