Thursday, July 18, 2013

TIFITLWIW: Surprise stamp

So I was going though my iPad pictures when I found this one that I had totally forgotten about:


 It's a wee little striding man in a hat, stamped on the bottom of a book. I just found it by accident. It's probably about an inch high. I think it may be a printer's mark? I don't even remember what book this was. Anyway, I thought it was cute.

UPDATE: I found another one, and it's the logo for Simon & Schuster. I'm guessing they stamp the bottom of all their hardcover books. Neat. 

FURTHER UPDATE: Apparently it's also the logo for Prentice Hall??? Are both owned by the same publishing house? I'm so confused. Anyway, PH's logo shows the striding man in greater detail. He's actually a farmer sowing seed, like in a field or something. The hand behind him is flinging the seed behind him, while his other hand reaches into a pouch slung in front of his body. I guess it's a metaphor for spreading knowledge which sprouts in readers' mind or something. idk. I'm only 99% sure it's the same logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment