Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Bookworm Math

So I started a bookstagram (read: turned my regular personal IG account into a bookstragram by posting more about books and bookish things) and made a post about a meme that's been floating around Instagram. You've heard of girl math and boy math, and the concept quickly spread into concepts like reading or bookworm math. Here are my contributions.

Bookworm math:

  • Buying books from independent bookstores is basically the same as donating to charity.
    • i.e. noble, selfless, giving, charitable, altruistic, philanthropic, demanded by my religion, Matthew 10:8, etc.
  • Paying $3 for a thrift store book is too expensive, but paying full price for a book at an independent bookstore is not.
    • Let's be real here. Thrift stores get so many book donations and they will never run out of books to sell. I don't want to see a hardcover over $2 or a paperback over $1. Who do they think they are, The Strand? Also, see the previous bullet point.
  • Buying a book from every bookstore, book selling stand/booth/stall, museum gift shop, etc., is the admission fee for visiting it.
    • What do you want me to do, be rude?? break the rules?? It's mandatory!
  • I gave away ten of my books, so now I can buy 20!
    • Makes sense to me. I was so good at weeding my books that I deserve a little treat.
  • Buying yet another bookcase when I run out of shelf space is a good investment.
    • My books need a place to live! What, you want them to live on the floor like so much refuse? You know and I know that I'm going to keep buying books for the rest of my life, so it's a good investment really.
  • I am justified in buying this bookish T-shirt/tote bag/pin/etc. because I'm a librarian. It's basically for work!
    • Note to the IRS: I do not count my bookish purchases as work expenses

Am I right or am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment