Monday, February 4, 2019

Book review: A Life in Stitches: Knitting my way through love, loss, and laughter by Rachael Herron

Following a trend, A Life in Stitches was a dollar store find. I was kind of on the fence about it but decided to buy it since I like to knit. I am so glad I did, because I really enjoyed this book!

Rachael Herron was (is?) the author of a popular knitting blog, back when blogs were the thing, and she's been knitting since she was young. Here is the Amazon summary:
When life unravels, there’s always a way to knit it back together again, many times into something even better. Honest, funny, and full of warmth, Herron’s tales, each inspired by something she knit or something knit for her, will speak to anyone who has ever picked up a pair of needles. From her very first sweater (a hilarious disaster, to say the least) to the yellow afghan that caused a breakup (and, ultimately, a breakthrough), every piece has a moving story behind it. This beautifully crafted and candid collection is perfect for the knitter who loves to read and the reader who loves to knit.
I loved this book. Herron is a really great writer, and she's skilled at putting you right in the situation she's describing and making you feel what she felt. Despite not knowing she existed before I picked up this book, I warmed to her immediately and enjoyed the glimpses into her life. She doesn't shy away from sharing embarrassing or painful events that happened to her, and readily shares any insight she gleaned from the experiences. Herron shares stories about her family, her experiences dating and falling in love with both men and women, and how she met her wife. I loved the essay about Venice, one of her favorite cities in the world.  It really made me want to visit Venezia again.

Surprisingly, there is only one knitting pattern in this book: a pattern for a hot water bottle cozy. There are obviously tons of descriptions of different things Herron has knitted over the years. Some are seriously complex and difficult! She knitted everything in the cover picture, and has even taken up spinning (yes, like Sleeping Beauty with the wheel). This book made me want to start knitting again and look up the closest yarn shop. I would definitely recommend this book to to anyone who likes knitting or memoirs.

Score: 5 out of 5 stars
Read in: January 17
From: dollar store
Format: hardcover
Status: keeping

No comments:

Post a Comment