Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My first reader's advisory reference interview!

I've been volunteering at my local library this summer shelving books, and while I've answered patrons' questions about things like the age level of books and where to find books about America/the States/etc., I had my first real... I'm not sure what to call it, hence the long title. It's sort of a reference interview, I think, but the person asked me to recommend a book, so reader's advisory? I've learned the terms in library school but not quite what counts as which. Anyway.
I had some books in my hand and was frowning at a shelf trying to find the right place to shelve the book when this girl, about eleven or twelve, who had also been looking intently at the shelf asked me, "Do you know any good books? I'm looking for a good book to read."
Aha! I thought, this is exactly what we've been prepared for in our classes. "What sort of books do you like to read?" I asked her.
"I like Artemis Fowl, mythology, stuff like that. Adventure books!" she answered, smiling in that excited way children do.
"Well, let's see..." I perused the bookshelf, muttering, "Adventure books..." until I found something. "Have you read The City of Ember?"
"No, I haven't. Is it good?"
"Yeah, I really liked this one. Ember, the city, is the only bright spot in a world of darkness, and two kids have to figure out how to save it."
"Ooh, that sounds good! [...] Do you know if this book is good?" She held up The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.
"Ooh yeah. I haven't read that one myself but I've heard it's really good. I've read some other books by her and I really liked those."
"Me too, I read Inkheart by her and really liked it, and Inkheart 2."
"Me too! I liked those."

I helped a child find a good book by putting my librarian training to use! *happy dance* I hope she likes it.

2 comments: