Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Book Review: Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

I love Jules Verne, his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea being a childhood favorite of mine, but I hadn't read this book of his. The copy I read belonged to my brother, or at least had ended up in his room. I grabbed this one to read on the plane to New York to visit my sister and her family, so that I could leave it behind if I wanted to. Back of book summary:

In Verne’s science-fiction classic, Professor Lidenbrock chances upon an ancient manuscript and pledges to solve the mysterious coded message that lies within it. Eventually he deciphers the story – that of an Icelandic explorer who travels to the centre of the earth, finding his way there via a volcano.

Inspired by the manuscript, the Professor is determined to follow in the explorer’s footsteps and builds a crew of men which includes his nervous nephew Axel. Together they begin their journey to the centre of the earth, facing fearsome danger and adventure at every turn.

I didn't enjoy this one as much as 2LUtS, or even Around the World in 80 Days. It was definitely an enjoyable way to pass the time in an airport, but I found the story somewhat lacking somehow. Maybe it's the cringing, scaredycat narrator, the way everything is described in the same tone of fearful amazement regardless of whether it's interesting or important to the story, or maybe it's the unchanging rigidity of the characters, maybe it's the silly science, ridiculous even to me with my one (1) college geology class.

Professor Lindbrock is an incredibly rigid, stubborn, egotistical, self-centered man. He lost my respect within the first 2 or 3 chapters when he forced the whole household, including his servants, to go without eating for over a day because he had decided to not eat or sleep until he cracked the manuscript. He literally locked them all into the house and took the key, so the cook couldn't leave and go to the market for the day's meals!! He ignored his nephew's trepidation about the accuracy of his science and the danger of the trip, strong-arming him into going and even forcing him to endure vertigo by repeatedly dragging him to the top of a tower (supposedly to get him used to great heights). Just because Lidenbrock decided something, it was right and everyone else was wrong and not worth listening to. He never got any comeuppance for being such a jerk, although he did almost lose Axel a couple of times and was therefore forced to come to terms with his actions, in a way. 0/10 uncle and person.

Axel is the narrator, and I found him quite annoying. Like I said, he's fearful and can't stand up to his uncle. Lindbrock was only able to crack the code because of Axel, who figured out the cryptogram. Axel is in love with Lindbrock's ward Grauben (forgot to say, they're all German for some reason), which weirded me out because Axel rhapsodizes about her youth and beauty in a truly Victorian creepy way, and I'm not sure how old he's supposed to be. I think he's a university student, and Grauben is 16. Another edition of J2tCotE gives Axel's age as 16, but I don't think it's mentioned in the book. I'm guessing he's 17-18 years old, which I guess is why he's such a scaredycat and won't stand up to his uncle. I'm guessing the romance was there to give him interest (he's otherwise very boring), but it served no purpose. 

Hans Bjelke is their Icelandic guide, who makes his living as an eiderdown collector (okay.). He communicates in Danish to Lidenbrock and is very taciturn and non-emotional, even when they're in great danger. He goes along with whatever Lidenbrock wants in what Axel describes as a feudal way, even when they could all die. Since he and Axel can't communicate, we never hear his side of things, and he's a very flat character. 

Ok, what I liked about this book: I thought them finding living prehistoric plants and creatures and even an early man (?!) was cool. I liked the chapters where they were trying to translate the Icelandic runes and break the code so they could read the ancient manuscript (you all know how I feel about runes and manuscripts and cryptograms). I liked their travels through Europe, despite the classist attitude towards peasants and rural people. There was one part when Axel (who doesn't speak any Scandinavian languages) finally meets one person he can talk to: some scholarly guy who also knows Latin. The underground travels stuff was interesting and suspenseful, even if the science is silly and they're saved by Deus ex volcano. How did they not die from that? It's silly.

Like I said, this whiled away the time in an agreeable way, but it's not my favorite of Verne's books. I do recommend reading it if you like Victorian sci fi and want to read a classic book to pass the time. 

Score: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Read in: August 16-September 8
From: my brother's room
Status: left it at my parents' house

Cover notes: This is clearly some stock picture of a person exploring an ice cave. Pretty, but not very accurate.

Trigger warnings for this book: being lost underground/in a cave without light, nearly drowning, being deep under the ground in caves, nearly dying of thirst, extreme thirst, anxious character forced to do the things he's afraid of, acrophobia (fear of heights), claustrophobia, thalassophobia (fear of deep water), vertigo mentions, controlling parental/father figure, adult man deprives teen/young adult of food for a day, rich/landowning man deprives servant(s) of food for a day (power imbalance), controlling man locks others inside his house, creepy descriptions of teen girl and narrator's attraction to her, fetishized female youth and innocence, teenage girl simultaneously infantilized and romanticized

No comments:

Post a Comment