Thursday, September 26, 2013

September book haul

From an estate sale I went to a couple weeks ago:
-Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (I read somewhere that fans of Jane Eyre would like this so I bought it)
-Laments For the Living by Dorothy Parker (I have her Enough Rope and adored it. This book is of short stories rather than poems but who cares)
-Sonnets From the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (I had bought a different copy for a friend for her birthday but apart from reading the few sonnets everybody knows I haven't read this myself)
-the aforementioned New York Public Library Desk Reference book, which I bought for and have at work

Oh I just remembered I had bought a book from an earlier estate sale as well. It's this 1800s book of Sir Walter Scott's collected poetical works, in leather. Not bookbinding leather, like straight up cowhide, with flowers painted on it. It's so old! I'm not a Scott fan (haven't read anything by him, although I have Ivanhoe waiting for me on my bookshelf) but it was so fragile and amazing I couldn't leave it behind. It has a picture and signature (probably also a picture, rather than physically signed) of the author inside, facing the title page, but the first like 8 pages are bug-eaten so I don't know which year it's from. Definitely from the 1800s, though.
I also bought from this estate sale the DVD of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I'd been wanting to watch for ages.

From my public library's year-round booksale:
-Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (read this already. Cracked up throughout, like straight up bursting out laughing p. much every page. One word: BANJOLELE. I must read the others. Only qualms: blackface is a plot point! Not once but twice!! And the N-word is dropped casually, constantly, by every character except for Jeeves [perf human being and the best]. Oh 1930s, you so racist. :/)
-Codex by Lev Grossman (I just like grabbed it off the shelf because it was called codex and the cataloging notes said medievalists–fiction. I'm currently reading this. It's about this guy, an investment banker or something, who gets assigned to catalog and sort a rare books collection/library of some English aristocrats and also gets hooked on a virtual reality, quest videogame which I think is supposed to mirror his IRL search for a mythical codex in that library. It's very slow moving; we just see the guy sort and catalog books and then go home and play the videogame and sleep. I love it. I can sort and catalog books all day; apparently I can also read about people sorting and cataloging books all day too. It's just my speed, interesting and old books and not too high-stakes. Also there's a standoffish medievalist grad student who helps the guy and she is basically 10000% done with everything and only cares about the books and medieval/Renaissance/book history. I love her. I'm sorta hoping they become bros instead of ending up together but that's what will probly happen.)

I just bought The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce, which is just as lovely as I remembered. Such a wonderful book. I had sorta forgotten about it until I saw the picture book at Barnes & Noble. It was, interestingly, a short animated film (which won an Oscar) first, then an app (which I did not know), and now a picture book. You'd think it'd be the other way around, ironically enough. Anyway, I found and read the book (gorgeous; they made it look like the one ML writes in!) but didn't buy it since picture books are hideously expensive. But lo and behold, I got a 20% off B&N coupon in my email and bought the book at a reduced price using the last of my giftcard money! Worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment